In this issue of the Cliffside News
we are presenting a few views of the R. R. Haynes Memorial Building,
which was dedicated Saturday, June 24th, when a formal
opening was held.
ground was broken for this building in 1919, and the structure was
completed in April of this year, 1922. It was erected in memory of
the founder of the beautiful town of Cliffside, the late R. R. Haynes.
The building has two stories and a basement. The
basement is only below the ground on the front, and the ground has
been excavated several feet from the wall on the front making the
rooms as light as the story above.
In the basement are the following: Gymnasium, two
tonsorial parlors, two bath rooms, two rooms not yet in use.
gymnasium is one of the finest and best equipped to be found in
the country. It is equipped for basket-ball,
volley bal!, indoor baseball and tennis. It has one giant stride,
two sets of trapeze rings, one set each climbing rods and ropes, one
set of six traveling-rings, punch bag, one cabinet of dumb bells,
one cabinet of clubs, one rack of wands, parallel bars, medicine balls,
three sets combination chest pulls which may be used for a number
of different exercises; jumping and vaulting boards, wrestling mats.
etc. The floor is perfect and smooth as glass.
The barber shops are well equipped. Messrs. M. O.
and Lytton Proctor are in charge of one of' them and Messrs. Broadus
Biggerstaff and Claude Hoye the other. They have other helpers at
The bath rooms are supplied with the latest equipment,
and have metal booths for the showers and dressing. They have lavatories
and are complete in every way. The ladies' have mahogany vanity dresser,
while the men's have a wall mirror. One of the vacant rooms mentioned
above may be used a little later for a pressing club. The other room
extends all the way across the front of basement with an alcove
toward the center of the building. It has in it tables and oil stove,
and may be used for a cafe at a later date. It has been used for
suppers, ice cream suppers, etc.
There are two corridors leading from the bath rooms
to the gymnasium, and in one of these is a large ice box lined with
coils through which the water passes to the sanitary drinking fountains
on each floor.
two-fifths of the space on the first floor is occupied by the theatre,
which is the prettiest theatre in this section of the country. It
is equipped with two of the latest models of the famous Symplex machines,
and a splendid screen. The lighting fixtures are unique. It has four
hundred and seventeen opera chairs. Two entrances at front and one
in the rear to the fire escape. All doors in the entire building open
to the outside. Mr. Chas. Swofford is manager, and puts on high class
pictures. Recently he has given us “The Fall of Babylon,”
“The Old Nest,” “Turn to the Right,” and many
other fine features. Messrs. Robt. James and J. L. Cooper operate
the first floor as one enters from the front is the lobby. It is
beautiful room about forty-eight by sixty feet. From the center of
the rear wall a fine brass rail extends half way to the front and
on one side is a confection counter and the stairways leading to the
bath rooms; on the other side are numerous tables where one may play
chess, carroms, checkers, dominoes, and other games. One either side
of the vestibule at the entrance are reading and writing rooms partitioned
from the rest of the room by brass rails. The room is furnished
settees, rockers, arm and straight chairs. The reading rooms have massive
library tables and four writing desks.
Leading from the rear of the lobby is a short stairway
to the balcony over the gymnasium, where one may watch the games and
exercises in the gymnasium. Leading from the lobby and also a front
entrance, a stairway leads to the second floor. At the right of the
landing is a large room for the use of the ladies. Here they may hold
their club meetings, classes, lectures, etc. There is a bath room
equipped with tub lavatory complete, adjoining this room.
Next we come to the domestic science
and banquet room, about forty by fifty feet. This room has two large
closets, eight or ten feet square, lined with shelve for linen, dishes
and the many things used in this department. It has one of the most
complete kitchen cabinets to be found, a majestic range, white enameled
kitchen tables, and four eight feet by forty-two inches dining tables
with gum tops.
In the rear of the building is a large lodge room
for the Masonic and K. of P. fraternal organizations. Next
is the large, room for the men, for class work, lectures, etc. On
the front are two private rooms with bath. The floors are all of A-1
white oak, and have been dressed and polished, and is laid on reinforced
concrete and tile.
The building is fire proof throughout as far as
possible to be made. The large pavement in front is laid with blocks
of cream and brown tile, except the entrance to the theatre, which
is white, small octagonal blocks trimmed with brown and green.
There is a tower on the front of the building in
which there is a clock which occupies the entire tower. It is in
sections and reaches some thirty or forty feet above the roof. The
first section contains the “works” of the Howard Clock.
It is a marvel of mechanism. There are three sets of weights, and
each are wound by separate motors. One of the weights is for the chimes,
which chime each quarter hour, one for striking the hours, and the
other to operate the clock. The bells are in the second section. The
largest one weighs around a ton and has the following inscription
engraved on it: “Erected to the memory of R. R. Haynes in 1920.”
The hammers are controlled by cables leading from the clock on the
lower floor of the tower. The shaft that operates the hands on the
four dials extends through the center of tower to the top section
and operates the four sets of hands. There are sixteen lights in the
top section—four for each dial and these lights are turned on
at evening and off each morning, automatically. The clock winds each
of the three weights automatically. There are three secondary clocks
which are controlled by this tower clock. There is one in the lobby
of the building, one in the Cliffside Mill's office, and one in the
machine shop of the Mills. It all operates electrically.
Reprinted with permission from The Daily Courier.
Copyright owned by The Daily Courier.
Note: the pictures that appeared in the newspaper
in 1922 were black and white. They were used in the making of the
cards we're all familiar with (some of which are shown above).