The Main Store
A description of the different departments might be of interest just here. As a visitor enters the front door he will be agreeably surprised at the splendid quality of merchandise displayed by the different departments. On the right at the front, one will find a splendid variety of piece goods and ladies ready-to-wear under the capable care of Misses Nora Freeman, Rose Gaffney and Mrs. C. H. Swofford.
Further back on the same side is the notions and gents' furnishings department, with Messrs. J. B. Freeman and Clyde A. Erwin in charge. The entire left side is devoted to the display of shoes and men's clothing. Here you will find the most complete stock in the county. Only the best and most widely advertised brands are sold, as Edwin Clapp and Glove Grip shoes and Hart, Schaeffer& Marx clothing. This is under the efficient direction of Mr. J. W. Dalton.
The millinery department is located at the rear of the store with Miss Evelyn Pusey, of Baltimore, in charge. This department sets the pace in styles for this section of the county and caters to a very select trade.
The grocery department is noted for the quality and completeness of its line. Here you can buy the choicest groceries to be had anywhere. Especial mention should be made of the neat manner in which everything is displayed. Everything is priced and the customer knows the price of each article before it is purchased. Messrs. Lloyd Williamson, Claude Gross and W. F. Blanton have charge of this department.
The hardware department is opposite the grocery department and under Mr. J. B. Suttle, ably assisted by Mr. Arthur Carpenter. This department offers a variety of hardware that is unsurpassed, both in quality and price.
The main store and branch stores are under the efficient management of B. D. Wilson, one of the cleanest and most aggressive young businessmen to be found anywhere. He has been connected with the store for 14 years and as manager since 1919 and knows the business thoroughly. He is ably assisted in the administration of the stores by Lloyd Williamson, assistant manager; Mr. G. A. Hines, bookkeeper; Miss Mabel Erwin, cashier; and Miss Ruth Davis, stenographer.
In the basement the visitor will be much surprised to note the large stock of heavy and fancy groceries, where both a wholesale and retail business is done. This department is under the capable direction of Mr. E. T. Hill, ably assisted by Messrs. George Hill, John Robinson, Willie Hoy and Broadus Wilson.
The Meat Market
The Branch Stores
The Furniture Store
Mr. Reuben McBrayer was manager at that time and remained in charge until 1919, when, ill health causing him to resign, he was succeeded by Mr. B. P. Caldwell, who, after a very successful period, resigned to engage in other business and was succeeded by Mr. J. H. Hill. During all these years this department has followed the unswerving policy of Cliffside Mills to do the right [thing] and serve the people in the highest and best way possible.
The present manager has a very able and efficient corps of salesmen and they are doing everything they can to hold high the torch handed down from other hands.
The name, furniture store, is not altogether fitting, for in addition to furniture, this department supplies a great territory in fertilizers, building materials and farming implements, and few people not intimately related to the concern realize the magnitude of its business, which grows by leaps and bounds from year to year.
The Drug Store
The Policy of Stores
The stores cater to a trade that is drawn from a radius of 25 miles. They handle everything there is to sell and provide a market for everything the farmer has to sell. That the volume of business is tremendous is evident from the fact that eight trucks are used daily in delivering merchandise to the patrons of the different stores.
The Haynes Band
Prof. Jos. Martin, of Greenville, South Carolina, was the next band master. He took up the work were Prof. Warburton left off, and continued to advance the band. Prof. Martin and manager B. M. Haynes took the band to Charlotte to play for the 20th of May Celebration [commemorating Mecklenburg's Declaration of Independence]. The band again headed the parades.
The next in charge of the band was Mr. M. T. Green, who was the leader from the beginning. He conducted the band for a few years, furnishing for most all celebrations in this section.
In 1916 Mr. D. C. Cole became the leader and instructor. The war came on and the band disbanded on account of so large a number of its members entering the service of our country. After the war, in 1919, Mr. Charles H. Haynes asked that the band be reorganized. Many of the old band members and some new ones came together and reorganized the splendid musical organization of which the town has always been so proud.
So earnest was the management of the mills to have an up-to-date band that they bought a new set of Frank Holton instruments for the boys. The equipment consisted of 26 new professionally-made instruments and 26 splendid up-to-date uniforms. All of this was a gift to the boys and to the town of Cliffside. It was then up to the boys to "stick and blow as never before."
The band now consists of four trombones, four altos, six cornets, two baritones, one Eb and one Bb bass, six clarinets, two saxophones, bass drum, snare drum and orchestra bells.
The present band is equipped to handle standard music. Since the war the band has developed under the able leadership of Mr. Cole, and has accomplished much in the way of music. The present organization is called "The Haynes Band," in honor of Mr. R. R. Haynes who founded the band and during his life thought so much and did so much for it.
The present band furnished music for one day at the "Made in Carolinas Exposition" held in Charlotte last year, and participated in the contest for the four best bands in the Carolinas. It won fourth place and was close second for third. The members of the band now consist of men and boys from the mills, construction department, store and office. The town tips its hat to the boys who have been so faithful and are making the band one of Cliffside's proudest possessions.
Our present attainments are due largely to the efforts and untiring labors of our instructor, Mr. D. C. Cole, who has also instructed the Avondale band and has already made it a splendid amateur band.
It is owned by the Cliffside Mills Company and was established during the lifetime of the founder of Cliffside, Mr. Raleigh R. Haynes, whose boys are trying to carry out the plans and wishes of their father.
Registered and graded Holstein cattle are used in the dairy altogether. All milk cows have been government tested by the U. S. Bureau of Animal Industry. No new cows enter the dairy without first having the government TB test. The stables are clean, cool and comfortable. Mr. R. S. Quesenberry, a graduate of VPI, is employed to test cows, milk and oversee the cattle.
A steam sterilizer for the cans and bottles and a bottler that will fill four bottles at a time are valuable parts of the dairy equipment. About 100 gallons of milk per day is realized from about 26 cows. This is used by the people of Cliffside, Avondale and vicinity and is delivered to them daily.
One of the best cows, Rosni Bale Dekol, has a record of 15,500 pounds of milk and 636 pounds of butter at two years of age. Another choice cow bought from Mr. Victor Montgomery, of Spartanburg, in January for $600, has a record of 36.79 pounds of butter and 653.1 pounds of milk in seven days.
The dairy now owns three cows that give 25 gallons of milk per day or three tons per month which is more than the original 15 cows gave in the same time.
You are welcome at any time and they consider it a pleasure to show you through.
Historical Sketch of Cliffside
On March 31st, 1911, Rev. C. W. Payseur pastorate closed and the church called Rev. F. B. Raymond, who was pastor until November 1912. Rev. L. R. Tate was granted license to preach by the church June 29th, 1911, and on July 20th, 1911, Rev. W. T. Tate was ordained.
On August 4th, 1912, the present pastor, Rev. W. K. Collins was licensed to preach.
Rev. A. T. Stoudenmire was the next pastor called and his work began January 1st, 1912. After Rev. Stoudenmire came Rev. D. J. Hunt and began his long and successful pastorate June 1st, 1914, and served until October 1st, 1921, at which time the present pastor, Rev. W. K. Collins began his service as pastor.
During these 19 years the Cliffside Baptist has steadily pressed forward in the Master's name, beginning with a membership of 34, the church has grown to a membership of about 600.
During this time, the church has sent out seven preachers, namely: Revs. Zeno Wall, J. F. Weathers, W. T. Tate, L. R. Tate, W. H. Lancaster, W. K. Collins and Marion Blanton.
The church is now undertaking to erect a beautiful modern brick building that will take care of not only our present needs but the future as well. Work now is about to begin on this building, and we feel by the guidance of the Holy Spirit we will gloriously finish this task for the glory of Christ who is the head of the church.
Historical Sketch of Cliffside
Methodist Episcopal Church
The church was organized with only eighteen members. Rev. J. P. Hipps was the first pastor and served during the year 1903. Rev. J. B. Carpenter was pastor for two years serving the church during the years 1904 and 1905. Following Rev. Carpenter came Rev. S. E. Richardson who served during 1906 to 1909 inclusive. The pastorate of Rev. Richardson was followed by Rev. A. C. Swofford who was pastor for four years. It was during the pastorate of Rev. Swofford that the present church was built. Up to this time the congregation had worshipped in a hall over the store and in the school building. The church building was completed in the year 1913, and was considered to be one of the nicest church buildings in Rutherford county at that time. Rev. H. L. Powell was pastor for four years, 1914 to 1917 inclusive. He was followed by Rev. N. M. Modlin who served the three years from 1919 to 1921, and was followed by the present pastor Rev. J. C. Keever who is serving his first year.
During these years the church has made a good growth in membership. It now has about two hundred members which is a great increase over the original eighteen members with which the church was organized.
The Sunday School has grown. The church building is not adequate to meet the needs of our people, and plans are being laid to relocate and build a splendid new church which will meet the needs of the congregation.
The first officers were R. R. Haynes, president; Charles H. Haynes, vice president; J. B. Watkins, cashier. In 1910 the capital stock was increased to $12,000.
The branch at Cliffside was opened for business April 15th, 1916, with W. L. Hicks, cashier, who served until August 1918. Miss Willie Carpenter was elected assistant at Cliffside in October 1917. Mr. W. W. Nanny was elected in Mr. Hicks' place in August 1918. Mr. Charles H. Haynes was elected president in March 1917 and Mr. G. C. Haynes, vice president. On August 8th, 1920, the capital stock was increased to $50,000.
September 11th, 1919, Mr. J. C. Hames was elected assistant cashier and bookkeeper at Avondale.
The present directors are Charles H. Haynes, G. C. Haynes, W. H. Haynes, Mrs. Virginia Caldwell, Z. O. Jenkins, J. B. Watkins. The resources now are $383,493.21.
The Ice Plant
The Cotton Gins
The Cliffside Railroad
Mr. R. R. Haynes, the man whose mind's eye could penetrate the distant future, realized that if the town that he had founded and shaped according to his own ideals, was to progress and develop as it should, it must have a railroad. So in 1903 the work of grading the road began, with a Mr. Davis in charge. He, however, was soon relieved and Mr. G. K. Moore took charge and completed the road, which extends from Cliffside to Cliffside Junction, making connections with S & L at that point. In 1905, the first train was operated on this line. For a short time there was no passenger service, but later on coaches were secured and a regular schedule for passengers was inaugurated.
The road now extends to Avondale and connects the two towns, which is a great convenience both to the people and the owners.
The railroad makes the town accessible to hundreds who perhaps would never see or realize the merits of our town and community. The road not only serves the towns of Cliffside and Avondale but there are numerous business houses in the surrounding country whose needs are supplied daily by service from this road.
A larger and more modern engine was recently purchased by the Company and adds greatly to the equipment of the road.
The officers of the Cliffside Railroad Company are: Mr. Charles H. Haynes, president; Mr. W. H. Haynes, vice president; Mr. Z. O. Jenkins, secretary and treasurer; Mr. G. C. Shuford, auditor. Mr. H. M. Owens is the genial agent.
The crew operating the trains are: C. D. Hughes, conductor; J. L. Cooper, engineer; Van McAperson, fireman; Grady Harper, brakeman; and J. S. Duncan, mechanic.
The Cliffside School
Its enlightening influence touched the lives and characters of 660 children last year, and it is to be hoped that its power for good shall increase with the passing of the years.
The Cliffside Laundry
Charles H. Haynes
That he has been unusually successful is attested by the enviable position Cliffside Mills holds in the industrial world today, both financially and in community work. Mr. Haynes is a quiet, unassuming man who prefers to speak in deeds rather than in words, and already his deeds have become an eloquent testimony of his sterling worth as an executive and as a man. Mr. Haynes has ever been zealous for the development of Cliffside Mills into a corporation with a soul, and the people show in increased efficiency and home development, that they have felt the good influence of his work.
Mr. Haynes was educated at Guilford College and after leaving that institution has been connected with the corporation of which he is now president, first as a secretary and later as vice president and treasurer. In addition to being president of Cliffside Mills, Mr. Haynes is interested in several lumber companies over Georgia and Alabama. He is Trustee of the estate of the late R. R. Haynes, a director of the Charlotte National Bank, President of the Haynes Bank of Cliffside and Avondale, and president of the Cliffside Railroad.
Reprinted with permission from The Daily Courier. Copyright owned by The Daily Courier.
Copyright © 2010 The Cliffside Historical Society